It took several years and more than 250 interviews for Monte Burke to write and publish his latest book.
"Saban: The Making of a Coach" is a comprehensive look at Alabama's football coach and is set for an Aug. 4 release. The 326 page biography touches on every step in Nick Saban's life, from the hills of West Virginia to Bryant Denny Stadium.
1. Saban was an eighth grader when he met Terry Constable. They would eventually marry, but the first encounter didn't go well. After meeting at 4 H science camp, Constable invited Saban to go bird watching, but he stood her up. A few years later, he got a second chance and took her to see "Gone With the Wind" at a local movie theater. As a high school senior, the book says he would hitchhike nine miles to her house to spend time with her.
2. Though he was a solid high school quarterback, college offers were few for Saban. wholesale nfl jerseys
The Beckley Post Herald cheap jerseys
called Saban "a fading star in desperate search for a galaxy." He received scholarships from Ohio University, Miami of Ohio and accepted one from Kent State.
3. As a college student, Saban worked during the football season. He loaded trucks at Roadway at night and during the summer, he drove a Coca Cola truck.
4. Only once was Saban fired. It went down after the 1981 season, his second as the Ohio State secondary coach. The Buckeyes had the second worst passing defense in the nation and Saban wanted to try more sophisticated schemes. But head coach Earle Bruce wasn't interested in that. Though Ohio State won a share of the Big Ten title, defensive coordinator Dennis Fryzel, Saban and two other assistants were fired on Dec. 31, 1981. "I can walk tall," Saban said at the time. "I'm not ashamed. I did as good a job as I could do."
5. As a Houston Oilers assistant coach, Saban clashed with a few players. One fight turned physical. Saban and defensive back Keith Bostic wrestled to the floor during one team meeting before other players stepped in to stop it.
6. Much has been said about Saban's reputation for changing jobs, but there were many more moves that he turned down. Among those offers include Northwestern in 1992, heavy interest from Stanford in 1994, an offer from the New York Giants in 1997 and one from the Chicago cheap jerseys
Bears in cheap jerseys
2004. The Indianapolis Colts came close to offering the job in 1998. But in 1987, Saban made a play for the head job at his alma mater, but Kent State went for Dick Crum instead. (Crum lasted three seasons with a 7 26 record including a winless 0 11 mark in 1989. It was his last head coaching job.)
7. After taking the Michigan State head coaching job in 1995, the Sabans moved into the home of film professor Jim Cash.