It led to a wrangle between Liverpool

It led to a wrangle between Liverpool, the Cameroon FA and Maplestory 2 Mesos — and Matip missing five games in January.'It's done now and I'm looking to the future,' he insists. 'I only wanted to stay here and play. It was not easy because I didn't understand what was going on. Now the problem is Maplestory 2 Mesos solved and I can concentrate on Liverpool.'

Matip admits the Premier League is very tough but relishes the chance to play against the elite The Liverpool centre back has decided to turn his back on the Cameroon national teamHad he gone, Matip — who grew up wanting to be a midfielder like Patrick Vieira — could have returned with a winner's medal. So does he have any regrets?'

No,' he says. 'I knew they could win it. I was happy. Cameroon is a big football nation. I was happy for them because the last years were not easy and they got back to their old spot.'But will he represent them in the future?'No.' Again his tone is unequivocal. 'It is Africa and you can never compare it to European things. I'll concentrate on Liverpool. It's done.'What isn't done is Liverpool's pursuit of a Champions League spot.

The pressure is building and the next two games — away to Manchester City, home to Everton — will go some way to defining whether the club will meet their target for the campaign.Matip longs to be in that competition again. As a 19-year-old, he reached the semi-finals with Schalke in 2011, scoring a rare goal in a thrilling quarter-final win against the holders, Inter Milan, before Manchester United arrived in Gelsenkirchen.'I have to say they beat us ugly,' Matip says. '