I shorten my stride and flex my

I occasionally experience pain along the outer margin of my left kneecap. It’s never severe enough to keep me from running, and Nike Air Force 1 Dames it seems to come and go without much explanation. My most recent bout seemed to crop up after a run in the new Mizuno Sayonara – I can’t say for sure that the shoe had anything to do with it, but it has a much higher heel than I’m used to and I could tell that it was altering my gait a bit.Last Saturday on a 13 mile run I was playing with my stride to see how it would affect the mild ache in my knee. It seemed that Nike Air Max 90 Hombre when I relaxed all of the muscles below my knee the ache would subside. If I forced a forefoot strike with a slightly stiffened leg it also seemed to help. However, if I really forced dorsiflexion of my foot prior to ground contact via contraction of the tibialis anterior the pain seemed to perk up. These are the fun things I like to do while running – figuring out how to make my knee hurt! I spent a good long time thinking about possible mechanisms that Nike Air Max 90 Womens might be at play to cause these changes.Somewhat fortuitously, a journal article abstract arrived in my inbox this morning from Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise that was titled “Increasing Running Step Rate Reduces Patellofemoral Joint Forces.” The paper was by a team from the University of Wisconsin led by Rachel Lenhart – it’s a group that I’ve written about before here on www.marjannesimoons.nl Runblogger (Nike Air Pegasus 83 Dameshere and here), and I have found their previous studies to be fascinating.In the current study, the team filmed 30 runners on an instrumented force treadmill, and used a biomechanical Nike Air Max 1 Hombre model to estimate forces through a number of muscles, tendons, and joints in the legs. Runners were filmed at their preferred step rate, and also at 90% (lower cadence) and 110% (higher cadence) of their preferred step rate to see how altering cadence affected these forces. It’s important to note that forces were estimated via modeling and not by actual sensors in the tissues (that would be a tough study to do!), so that is always something to keep in mind in a study like this – results are only as good as the model (and I don’t have the expertise to evaluate the model they used).What the research Adidas Superstar Mujer team found was very interestingIn a nutshell, these results suggest (and I’ll use the word suggest since this was a modeling study and actual internal forces were not measured directly) that peak forces and rate of force application through the patellar tendon and patellofemoral Nike Air Max 270 Femme joint are reduced when cadence is increased by 10% over preferred (i.e., a shorter, quicker stride), and increased when cadence is reduced 10% from preferred (i.e., a slower, longer stride).Perhaps more interestingly, they suggest that the key factor explaining this result is not so much the peak vertical ground reaction force (which has been the focus of much of the debate relating to form change of late), but rather the maximum amount of knee flexion Nike Air Max 2017 Womens during mid-stance (i.e., the maximal amount that the knee bends). I find this particularly interesting in light of my own knee ache since one of the most effective ways to make it go away is to stiffen my affected leg and land on my forefoot. My guess is that what is happening is I shorten my stride and flex my knee less by doing this and it reduces the force through the affected tendon. Now I need to put the Sayonaras back on with a cadence sensor attached and see if I Nike Air Presto Hombre can make some magic happen!